How Can A Personal Injury Lawyer Help Me?
Are you wondering how a personal injury lawyer can help you resolve your personal injury claim? If the damage or money is minor (less than the insurance deductible or less than the small claims limit for your state), you can probably handle it yourself. If the consequences are more immediate and the stakes are higher, you probably should not go it alone. Weigh the value of your claim of filing it yourself with the cost of representation by a personal injury lawyer working on a contingency fee basis.
A Personal Injury Attorney Can Help You
1. Legal situation assessed. The experience of a personal injury lawyer on your side will enable you to understand the legal issues involved in your specific personal injury claim. Is this a serious injury? Do you have a permanent or temporary injury? Who was at fault? Is there an uninsured or underinsured motorist involved? Do you have to accept the settlement offer? Do you know the value of your case (the insurance company does but will not tell you)? A good attorney will tell you whether to settle out of court, sue in small claims court or sue for a larger amount in state court.
2. Obtain additional reports, evidence and information. An experienced personal injury lawyer will know what kinds of evidence to look for (i.e., medical and vocational evidence, police reports, etc.) and will interview and investigate potential witnesses for statements.
3. Provide legal guidance. If you feel that representing yourself is the best decision for your situation, consider the lawyer as a legal guide to help you (1) understand the personal injury law that is applicable to your case; (2) find the evidence that best supports your case; (3) understand the strengths and weaknesses of your claim; (4) comprehend the litigation process and customs unique to your local courts; (5) draft or review paperwork; (6) recognize opportunities for settlement in your claim; or (7) in the end represent you if you feel you are no longer able to handle the responsibility on your own.
4. Negotiate. There may be an unresolved dispute where there will be negotiations with a claim adjuster who is a professional negotiator. You would be wise to hire a lawyer to negotiate on your behalf and to protect your interests.
5. Draft a lawyer’s letter or make a phone call. A letter from your attorney goes a long way in establishing your claim and places the other party on notice that you are taking the matter seriously and are represented by a professional. Your lawyer is capable of handling all communication with the other party, including phone calls. This will reduce your contact with the risks and unpleasantness of dealing with the other party on your own. Often times, attorneys extend each other professional courtesies. What would normally take a battle would then be handled with a phone call.
6. Representation in court. You can file a personal injury lawsuit against the party with whom you have a dispute with the assistance of an experienced attorney. If the other party has an attorney, you need to have one representing you as well.
Legal Questions? Get Your Free Consultation Today!
If you have questions about your legal rights to compensation after an injury that was no fault of your own, get a free consultation with an experienced Kentucky Personal Injury Lawyer at Shelton Law today. Make an informed decision and get the compensation you deserve by putting our experience to work for you.
The Louisville, Kentucky based Shelton Law Group is highly qualified to assist you if you or your loved one has been negligently injured. John R. Shelton of the Shelton Law Group is a Member of the Million & Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forums as well as the American Association for Justice. The Shelton Law Group represents clients throughout the Commonwealth of Kentucky in the State of Tennessee, including the following Kentucky counties: Jefferson, Oldham, Shelby, Taylor, Bullitt, Nelson, Fayette, Warren, McCracken, Pike, Floyd, Boone and Campbell Counties. We will work tirelessly for you until your case is complete. Shelton Law Group’s winning track record of hundreds of successes and millions recovered will provide you with the confidence you need in your fight for your legal rights. We will finance your legal battle. You only pay us if we win. That’s because we work on a contingency fee basis. We believe this is the fairest approach. Why should you pay for something that doesn’t benefit you? Contact the Shelton Law Group today. Call 1-888-761-7204 to speak with a lawyer for free today. At the Shelton Law Group – we take your case personally.
Shelton Law Group home page, click here