Should I Contact An Attorney After A Car Accident?
It depends on what happened and what injuries were suffered and to whom in the car accident. The answer is probably no if you are not hurt. You should seek legal help if you or a loved one has been injured in the car accident, especially if there is a permanent injury, or significant time is lost from work, school or household duties. Do not entirely rule it out if you are not injured. The facts and circumstances surrounding automobile accidents are always different. Going to the insurance company on your own is sufficient if it is a simple fender bender where no one involved was hurt. Anything more serious than that deserves the assistance of an experienced personal injury lawyer.
When to run and when to walk to an attorney: Contacting an attorney who deals with personal injury, especially relating to auto accidents, can provide you the peace of mind knowing that every “i” is dotted and every “t” is crossed. Below are tips when you should run to an attorney and when you should simply walk:
Run to an attorney when:
- There has been a serious injury (broken bones/hospitalization) or permanent (paralysis);
- The accident resulted in a death;
- Fault is clearly an issue;
- Other parties such as pedestrians or other automobiles were involved;
- The accident occurred in a construction area;
- The police report is not accurate and puts you at fault;
- Important technical, legal or medical issues are involved;
- You have low liability insurance limits;
- You have no insurance or your insurance is alleging that you did not pay your premium;
- The insurer starts “acting funny”; and
- Your insurer involves its own attorney (in that case, sprint!).
Walk to an attorney when:
- Requesting advise on the settlement value of a claim (attorneys may be able to provide best and worst case scenarios);
- You are unsure if other insurance coverage such as homeowners and travel is available;
- Fault may be an issue;
- To determine whether your insurer is acting in bad faith (not looking out for your best interests);
- Needing information on handling negotiations with an insurer;
- You are unaware of your legal rights;
- There is confusion over the terms of your policy; and
- You need to consult an expert to review confusing paperwork or forms.
Kentucky Car Accident Injury Lawyer
Based in Louisville, Kentucky, the Shelton Law Group practices Kentucky personal injury law, including auto accident cases. We represent clients throughout the Commonwealth of Kentucky including Jefferson, Oldham, Bullitt, Spencer, Taylor, Shelby, Warren, Scott, Fayette, Woodford, Kenton, Boone and Campbell Counties. We will finance your legal battle. You only pay us if we win. That’s because we work on a contingency fee basis. We believe this is the fairest approach. Why should you pay for something that doesn’t benefit you? Contact the Shelton Law Group today. Call 1-888-761-7204 to speak with a lawyer for free today. At the Shelton Law Group – we take your case personally.